Thursday, January 12, 2012

An upcoming event: come meet me!


In preparation for the Boston Republican City Committee's event for state committee candidates on January 31st, the organizers sent around a brief set of questions. I've posted my answers below.

If you're interested in attending the event on the 31st, it's going to take place at the Park Street School (67 Brimmer Street) in Boston, from 6:30 until (I assume) 8:30 or 9.

1. What would you like to accomplish in your district in the next 4 years? I hope to prove that the Republican Party can be alive and well in all parts of this district -- Boston, Cambridge, Chelsea, and Everett. This serves two related goals. One, a healthy political culture depends on the real competition we as a party must provide for the Democrats; two, the state GOP must learn to compete in areas such as those included in this district if it is ever to be consistently viable statewide. Thus, I hope to establish city/town and ward committees throughout the district, and work to find candidates for every race from state senator to school committee. We will lose every single race we refuse to contest, so it is imperative that active Republican organizations exist and be able to support Republican candidates up and down the ballot.

2. What is your strongest asset to the Republican State Committee? I think the combination of my youth and energy is my greatest asset. I know a fair amount about Massachusetts' political history over the past decades, but I've lived through very little of it. It was a pleasant surprise that the first vote I cast in Massachusetts was for the first victorious Republican candidate for the U.S Senate in nearly four decades: I speak, of course, of Scott Brown. Because of that inexperience, then, I'm more optimistic than most about the possibilities for transforming the political landscape here in the Commonwealth, especially in places like the Middlesex and Suffolk District where Republicans have too long been a rumor rather than a reality. I think that optimism will be a great asset to me as a state committee member.

3. What is something new you would like to see your Republican Town Committees practice? I'd like to see them practice existing. The Cambridge Republican City Committee barely exists, if it exists at all, in much of the district; to the best of my knowledge, Chelsea and Everett don't even have Republican committees. Republicans in this state have succeeded in areas, like Attleboro, where the proper infrastructure has been set up. If elected, my first priority will be to work to establish such infrastructure throughout the Middlesex and Suffolk District.

4. What is your favorite "hot spot" in your district? One of my favorite spots is Tavern on the Square at Porter Square, which is at the very tip of the district. I'm not sure it qualifies as a "hot spot", but it's good enough for me because they show every NFL game on Sundays. I love football, so I very much enjoy spending fall Sundays eating their delicious food and watching the games.

No comments:

Post a Comment